Best of the West
8am - Noonish, Six Passenger Limit, $195 per person
Set Adrift on Sustainable Bliss
Aboard the 34 ft. Power Cat, Alaka'i The elite intimacy of our whale watching (year-round ), dolphin swimming, and turtle snorkel tour, because you care - and if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.
Charter participants will likely experience at least two - usually all three - of the following (Mother Nature willing). Our marine mammal sighting rates are 99.5%:
Dolphin Encounters / Wild Dolphin Swims
Guided Snorkeling with Turtles and Coral Reef Fish
- Our premier - "do it your way" 1/2 day charter, tailor made semi-private or private cruise experience - at small group rates
- Whale, Dolphin, Turtle, Snorkel Cruise - expertly guided both in and out of the water
- Six people max per cruise - ages 12+
- 99.9% marine mammal sighting rate
- Expert Educated Crew - of marine wildlife biologists.
- Blue Water Wildlife Encounters - Access to 18 species of toothed dolphins, 6 baleen whales, and 22 species of seabirds in Hawaii- including rare species..
- Nearshore Swimming with Wild Dolphins Longest dolphin time of any dolphin tour on the water - safe and sane for both dolphins and you. Includes pre-encounter briefings on dolphin behavior and "wet-iquette (how to swim with wild dolphins)".
- Year-round whale watching - Humpbacks aren't the only whales in Hawaii! Onboard hydrophone to hear underwater vocalizing an added bonus (and tool!).
- Guided Snorkeling Tour with sea turtles and,tropical reef fish, many endemic to Hawaii
- Great for both novice and advanced snorkelers; snorkel gear and flotation devices provided
- Give back: help sight and identify species, record numbers present, contribute your photos to Cascadia Research Collective's Hawaii marine mammal ID catalogs
- Roam freely around the boat, get close enough to (almost) touch dolphins riding the bow (you might get "spit" on!), while looking down between the hulls is just like a glass bottom boat! Lounge in the airy shaded cabin between activities, or warm in the sun of the roomy deck. Ample dry storage areas and a private bathroom with plenty of room to change clothes.
- Narration on cultural sites and living aloha. Please inquire if interested - we have knowledge and passion about both the marine ecosystems, and the onshore communities we operate in. As eager as we are to share, we equally respect needs for quiet and time with your loved ones.
- Contribute $50 to the development of an International Dolphin and Whale Stranding App with your ticket price.
"Words truly cannot express the life impact this tour has on you. Having the joy of seeing a pod of dolphins with two baby-calves swimming in harmony - checking out your boat, and then your humanness in the water - is truly amazing. I never care to see another captured dolphin again. ." TripAdvisor Review
While the nearshore dolphin, whale and turtle reef snorkeling are included, the Best of the West (see independent reviews here), includes on-demand exclusive bluewater journeys to experience the various other year-round dolphin and whale species inhabiting Hawaii’s waters. Wild Side adheres to the IWC's General Principles for Whale watching to minimize the risks of adverse impacts of whalewatching on whales and dolphins.
*An exceptionally stable, unintrusive, vessel; the Alaka'i has the flexibility (3 1/2 + hours) and speed to go where magic happens.
*With all cruises, a portion of proceeds and/or boat space is dedicated to the Wild Dolphin Foundation.
Read a review of Wild Side's Best of the West by John Fischer, About.com
Important Tour Information
- Six passengers max, at least four to "set sail" (inquire if your group is larger than six)
- Check-in time 8:00 am - return 12:00+
- Ages 12 and up welcome
- $195 per person
- Includes Lunch - Local when possible, with Aloha Always
- Assortment of granola bars, and drinks always available and included in price: water, soda, iced cappuccino, juice, etc.
- Reservations for holiday peaks, winter and summer seasons are recommended to be made at least two weeks ahead of time. Though we will take 'last minute' ones if we have space, your chances are much better to book ahead of time.
- Need transportation?
*While the nearshore dolphin and whale encounters and turtle reef snorkeling are still included, the Best of the West (see independent reviews here), will add exclusive bluewater offshore journeys to experience the various other year-round dolphin and whale species that inhabit Hawaii’s waters. Wild Side adheres to the IWC's General Principles for Whale watching to minimize the risks of adverse impacts of whalewatching on whales and dolphins.
Notice: Wild Side (complete terms and agreements) reserves the right to seasonally modify departure and arrival times, with notice. Due to our popularity and limited group sizes, cancellations with less than 10 days notice and "No Shows" are subject to full charge. Prices quoted do not include state tax, harbor fees, or fuel surcharge.
Although our sighting rates are at 95+% we cannot guarantee sightings, interaction with wild dolphins, whales, snorkeling, nor ideal weather conditions. We reserve the right to not facilitate in-water OR shipboard encounters which we feel may compromise the well-being of our guests or ocean wildlife. All passengers are required to wear locator/flotation devices. We do not offer transportation to the boat harbors.